On Friday night I meticulously laid out everyone's clothes (sooo many clothes for 4 people, plus makeup, jewelry, etc) but I managed to get everything in one big bag. I also packed diapers, a pack and play, sheets, toys, snacks, DVDs, stroller, sippy cups, wipes, medicine....seriously, we were loaded down like a caravan of gypsies for ONE DAY! Oh my goodness, traveling with babies is insanity! But, I finally got it done and was ready to get up the next day and get going. Our plan was to wake up fairly early and get the babies in the car in their jammies so maybe they could continue sleeping and wouldn't be fussing for most of the way. We did pretty good but around Bee Cave (about 2.5 hours from home) the boys were definitely ready to take a break. We saw a strip center with a Jamba Juice and a little pond, it was perfect for a break. We got out and as we were about to change diapers on the bed of the truck I realized...WE LEFT THE STINKIN' BAG WITH ALL OUR CLOTHES-and everything else for that matter!!!! Oh my gahhhhh! I had a mini meltdown and then started laughing. We would pull through this. I had a giftcard to Ulta and Marshall's so we could get clothes for everyone and make-up. This was only a minor hiccup and it was not going to ruin our trip. So we walked around for a while and got a cookie for the boys and went across the street to look for clothes. When I went into Marshall's they had nothing! I figured I would try Old Navy...still nothing. I hated spending money on stuff I didn't even want. This stressed me out but I went to ULTA and was growing more frustrated. I was spending all my giftcard on crappy makeup I had at home and they didn't even have toothbrushes! As I was walking to the truck I started getting a little caught up in t he frustration and had a minor meltdown. Trevor was very sweet about it and made me feel better. It was so cute because when Tate saw me cry for just a second he said, "Mama, okay?" it made me laugh and of course I dried it up because it was silly and we went on our way.
We made it to the bed and breakfast a couple hours later. It was a beauty and I was more than happy to get there. Round Top is one of my favorite places! It's gorgeous! Just imagine-rolling green hills, huge oak trees, longhorns, and a super charming town. Plus, it was a place that I had lots of fond memories from. So when we pulled up to the bed and breakfast I was starting to relax. Then I went inside and low and behold...no innkeeper anywhere! I roamed around the house and property looking for someone and I was surprised when I even tried calling and still..nothing. Hmm, well the boys enjoyed hanging out outside and running around so we decided just to go up to the room we already paid for and start getting ready. Otherwise, we would be late to the party. Later I finally found them and they were asleep so they didn't hear us. Weird. Then, the sweet lady told us they were going to their beach house and wouldn't have breakfast ready in the main house for us; however, she would leave us something in our mini fridge...ummm, okay so now our bed and breakfast that we paid for is just a bed. This trip was just so strange. But I just kept thinking...just keep smiling. So we did.
We headed over to the Mercantile to grab toothbrush and toothpaste and then made our way over the Junk Gypsy headquarters for the shindig! Things were getting better. When we got there I got a warm hug from the ladies and was so ready to catch up. However, Bowen was just not having it. He was super grouchy and made it really hard to talk to anyone, keep him from crying while the show was playing, or anything else for that matter. I got to talk for just a little while and Tate definitely had a blast chasing the big kids around but at 8, it was time to go! I'm so happy I got to see the Junk Gypsies! They are some of the sweetest, most talented people I've ever been around and I truly miss seeing them everyday! I'm so excited for them and wish them the very best of luck for their new show and store! What a huge year for them!
We got back to the bed and breakfast and were ready just to settle in. We played outside for just a bit and I took pictures of the gorgeous wild flowers out back then we wrangled the kids up the stairs to get bathed...but no bath. So, it was interesting to get them cleaned off and ready for bed in a new, strange place. Bowen cried for quite a while in the pack and play but then fell asleep. Tate on the other hand wanted to play still and even snuck into our room for a little while until I made him go back and sleep in his own bed. Exhausted, and clothes, we finally fell asleep....
..until sunrise. The boys woke up bright and early (actually Bowen woke up during the night) but we got to see a lovely sunrise and eat the kolaches the innkeeper left in the fridge. We decided to hit the road before the storm rolled in and get a head start on the day. I was disappointed we didn't get to eat breakfast with the group before we left but it was time to get home. It rained most of the way back but that was okay I love rain.
We decided to give the boys a break and we stopped in Llano to play at the elementary's playground and catch a bite to eat at famous, Coopers BBQ. The food was AMAZING! The brisket was tender and juicy and perfectly seasoned and the cobbler was delicious! The boys scarfed it down, too. I was beginning to think our luck had changed. It was a great day so far...
and then,
DISASTER
struck!
We were in between Llano and Brady (a one hour two lane back road with NO pit stops!). That's when my tummy started rumbling. Now, I don't need to go into detail but let's just say that I was thigh high in road side brush looking for rattlesnakes and sitting under a tree with a bad case of...um, tummy trouble. Then, much to my surprise, I realized my leg was in poison oak. Lovely, just lovely. I got back in the truck, but it wasn't over. We pulled over again, less than 100 yards from where we were. It got worse...then, we got to Brady and stopped at McDonalds. I rushed to the restroom and discovered that the toilet was not functioning. I had to plunge a toilet after all this!?! Oh wow! When I came out there was a line of people waiting. I would like to think it was over but we only made it to Eden before we were stopping again. So, let's just say "you can't make this shit up" described how my weekend went. There was definitely some good parts and I tried to smile through it all and laugh it off but now I'm too weak and tired to even try. Next road trip will be better, I just know it! hahahhahahah
I'll post more pictures later. I've got lots of em! Until next time, over and out...





No comments:
Post a Comment