Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

It's that time of the year again when everyone is filled with zest and eagerness to compensate for their failures from the last year. This is a great thing. We all need to learn from our mistakes and a new year and a new perspective is refreshing and makes us feel like it's time to take the proverbial "bull" by the horns. I've made some new year's resolutions in hopes that it's a way for me to prioritize what's important, how to make the important things count, and to learn from last year. 


1. Just relax- my life feels like it's constantly being fast forwarded. Every day feels almost like a race and by the end of the day I'm exhausted. I know this is just part of being a mom to two little boys under 2 and it will get easier as they get older and more independent. I hate when my house is a wreck and I don't have time to do the things that I want to get done; however, I just want to focus on raising happy, healthy boys! That's all that truly matters. When they go to bed at night and I feel like it I'll clean up (like I usually do) but during the day when they want my attention, they'll get it! 


2. Pray more and attend church. I want a closer relationship with God and I don't put enough emphasis on this now. That has to change. I can't look at my spirituality as a "hobby" and I only do the bare minimum. Trevor and I are going to start doing a bible study with each other at night and I plan on becoming more involved in my own personal study. There's a couple of books I'd like to read, like: Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence by Sarah Young and 


3. Have date nights. We get caught up in the day to day grind of life and it's always nice to reconnect and have time for us to work on our relationship.


4. Eat better. Trevor is constantly talking about the Paleo Diet. It's about eating only whole foods- no sugars, processed foods, grains, etc.  Just fruits, veggies, and meat. I love fruit and veggies and yes, meat too, but c'mon, I also LOVE dessert and breads and pizza! Oh gosh, this is gonna be really difficult. I know it's better for us and most of all, better for the kids. We are gonna go by the 80/20 rule. We'll be strict 80% of the time and slack 20%. 


5. Save more. We are working on paying off ALL debt. We are putting more back for rainy days, vacations, emergencies, and so on. I'm so glad that the end is in sight!


6. Exercise more. Obvious resolution for most everyone! The gym is always full right after New Year's. I do pretty well at running on a pretty regular basis for the most part at the park but I'd like to add in some weights. We also are going to try and compete in a couples adventure race in April/May. 


7. Create more. I love to be creative and I feel much better when I'm using my skills. I'm really hoping that I can focus in on things I love to do and maybe even start my own business or just profit in some way. I have wanted to start a photography business for quite some time but I'm going to seriously look at my options.


8.  Love more. I want to do more for others and teach my children to serve others and to be compassionate and kind. I would love to instill in them these values and I know that they must see these traits in their parents. 


There's plenty more things I would love to add to my resolutions; however, I want them to be realistic and manageable. Pretty much, I just want to be the best me that I can possibly be. I want to be the absolute best mom for my babies and enjoy every moment with them. May this year be happy, healthy, fun, and full of hope for everyone! 
Lots of love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment