Today, like many others, feels like the survival of the fittest. And it this case, I feel like the fat, old, decrepit person that the tribe is about to sacrifice! (That tribe being my two kids)
It all started when we got home from our trip to Austin. Tate just looked miserable. He had the puppy dog eyes and started coughing and had a scratchy voice. I didn't know if it was just allergies that we all had been suffering from or if it was another ear infection. Sunday night he slept awful and was up most of the night. The next day he acted surprisingly well. Then on Monday Tate went down around 8:30 and we were just hoping he'd sleep all night and feel better the next day. NOT THE CASE! It was about 10:30 when he woke up and just screamed. He was hyperventilating and struggling to breathe. I knew from the sound of it; although I had never even heard it before, that it was croup. He ended up getting so worked up he vomited all over me and the bathroom. I shucked his clothes and put him in the tub. That night we monitored him closely and Trevor and I stayed awake all night with him. He cried most of the night and looked beyond pitiful. It was heart-wrenching to say the least. I'm not quite sure there is a worse feeling than looking at your very sick child and knowing there is nothing you can do to make them feel better.
The next morning we took him to the doctor first thing. It turned out he did indeed have a bad case of croup and an ear infection in his right ear. This is his third infection since September. Supposedly as babies get closer to 2 their ear canals will shift and will decrease the incidence of ear infections- dear God, please let this be true! He had a steroid shot in his leg and then a breathing treatment of epinephrine. He was so miserable! While we were there Bowen also got his 6 months shots (yes, I'm a bad mother for letting my baby go a whole month late on his vaccinations---the doctor definitely let this be known by the tone of his voice)
That night I was just praying that we might all get some desperately needed sleep. NOT THE CASE! I can't believe these two cannot sleep through the night, EVER! It's beyond exhausting, frustrating, and it makes me a truly miserable mother! I'm thankful to all of our family who has helped-Trish and Victor brought over dinner on Tuesday night and my mom and dad came over to help out throughout the day today. Still, it's been about 2 years since I've truly slept well. I'm beyond the point of frustration with their sleep habits. I'm emotionally drained from seeing my babies in pain and sick.
Today I woke up with hopes that they might sleep through the day and continue feeling better but it didn't seem like that was possible. Bowen ran a fever of 100.3 last night, I'm assuming from his shots, and was miserable all day! Tate also decided to miraculously potty train himself. He pooped in his diaper (okay, he may not have the order of things down yet but he's getting closer) then he took it off and walked past me, into the bathroom, he tried to get on the toilet but I had to help, then he pottied, and proceeded to actually wipe himself (and quite well I must add). I was impressed and disgusted all at the same time. Major clean up is necessary. I did what I can but I'm still waiting for them to go to sleep and will just do the major clean up tomorrow (maybe...I hope...probably won't)
So tonight I'm a mess. I'm stressed beyond recognition. I'm exhausted emotionally, mentally, physically...it's not a good week. Not a decent one even. I know there are people who have it FAR worse. I'm grateful for what we do have; however, as I'm sitting here typing this (at almost 10:00 at night) I have 2 kids who are still fighting sleep and after 72 hours of barely any sleep I can no longer tend to them. They are gonna have to figure out how to fall asleep (which I wouldn't think would be difficult-they have to be just as exhausted if not more so than I am!) It's days like today that make surviving seem barely manageable.
Prayers would be appreciated for the boys...and maybe if you have a spare prayer or two one for me too.
No comments:
Post a Comment